Home | Steering Committee
The Union for Democratic Communications is an organization of communication researchers, journalists, media producers, policy analysts, academics and activists dedicated to:
- critical study of the communications establishment;
- production and distribution of democratically controlled and produced media;
- fostering alternative, oppositional, independent and experimental production;
- development of democratic communications systems locally, regionally and internationally.
UDC encourages critical perspectives in communication theory, media production and the study of popular culture. Through its conferences, newsletter, and other activities, UDC seeks to:
- bring together media producers, researchers, policy makers, and grassroots communications activists;
- promote varied critical approaches to communications and media;
- advocate the creation of structures to promote democratic communications;
- work with other progressive organizations to facilitate the production and distribution of democratic communications.
To learn more about UDC membership or to become a member, just click here.
UDC Steering Committee
The Steering Committee of the Union for Democratic Communications is the group of members responsible for coordinating UDC operations overall, overseeing conference and special project planning, budgeting, and other organizational activities Steering Committee members are elected on a rotating basis at each international conference. The Steering Committee meet in person at conferences, on regular telephone conference calls, and on electronic mail.
Current Steering Committee members are:
- Robin Andersen, Fordham University
- Ron Bettig, Penn State University
- Lisa Brooten, Southern Illinois University
- James R. Compton, University of Western Ontario
- Chris Demaske, University of Washington, Tacoma
- Robert Hackett, Simon Fraser University
- Chris Jordan, St. Cloud University
- Kate Kane, Southern Illinois University
- Michael I. Niman, Buffalo State
- Jennifer Proffitt, Florida State University
- Christine Quail, SUNY Oneonta
- James F. Tracy, Florida Atlantic University
- Deborah Tudor, Southern Illinois University
Page created: 31 May 2006
Page last updated: 18 September 2007